SEN Report


At Riders we believe that all pupils should be encouraged to achieve to their full potential. We recognise that all pupils are individuals and we are committed to providing an inclusive, supportive, caring and stimulating environment in which all children can achieve.

At Riders we strive to ensure that all pupils;

  • Have access to a wide, balanced and exciting curriculum that is differentiated according to the learning needs of the individual.
  • Are encouraged to become independent, emotionally resilient and self- motivated.
  • Have access to resources and opportunities that will enrich and support their learning.
  • Are assessed regularly to monitor progress and areas of need.

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) is the term used for children who need extra support to help them to make expected progress in school.

As part of our admissions arrangements (please see Admissions Policy), we will always accept new pupils who have a final statement of special educational needs or Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP) which names the school.  Where possible, such children will be admitted within the PAN. We will make all possible adjustments so that pupils with specialist needs can join us and we will meet with parents/ carers and outside agencies throughout the admission process to ensure that the pupils’ needs are understand and catered for.

We believe that all children, including those with SEN, have the right to take part in all aspects of school life including clubs, break and lunchtimes and extra-curricular activities.  We will ensure that support is provided so that children with SEN can access any of these aspects of school life and do not feel that they can’t take part in something.

Children who have SEND have their additional needs assessed regularly by the class teachers and the SEN team so that the provision can be tailored to their specific requirements.

The SEN Team are responsible for the management of provision across the whole school – please look at the section ‘Meet our Team’ for more information.

Meet our Team!

  Mrs K. Finch – Inclusion Leader

  Miss L. Rowden – Inclusion Coordinator

Roles of Inclusion Leader and Inclusion Coordinator

  • Termly data analysis across both schools to assess progress and attainment for children with additional needs.
  • Work sampling and in class observations across both schools to ensure quality of provision.
  • Liaising with outside agencies to coordinate provision.
  • Coordination and monitoring of interventions – including Precision Teaching
  • Monitoring of SEN provision, IEPs and SEN registers
  • Inclusion Partnership Agreements (IPAs)
  • Special Educational Needs Support Agreements (SENSA)
  • Individual Behaviour Management Plan (IBMPs)
  • Working with Jenny Hinton to coordinate the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) provision across both schools.
  • Attending training opportunities and cascading information effectively to other staff.
  • Safeguarding Leads

Inclusion Leader

Mrs Karen Finch is the Inclusion Leader. She oversees SEND provision across both the Infant and Junior School to ensure that the children get the support they need. Responsibilities include

  • Staff training on interventions
  • Completion of paper work for statutory assessments – EHCP etc.
  • In school support for additional learning needs.
  • Reading Recovery – delivery and coordination of other adults doing Reading Recovery and other literacy interventions.
  • Responsibility for Children Looked After by the Local Authority (CLA), including Personal Education Plans (PEPs) meetings across both federated schools.

Inclusion Coordinator

Miss Laura Rowden is the Inclusion Coordinator and she works closely with the Inclusion Leader, SEN team and other staff to ensure that children with SEND are represented and their provision taken care of. Responsibilities include;

  • Collection and coordination of evidence for EHCPs, IPAs and SENSAs
  • In school support for Autistic children; including support and advice for staff and families.
  • Staff training and support on emotional and behavioural needs.
  • Coordination of pastoral care including ELSA support.
  • Nurture Leader – Running the Nurture Unit every morning for a group of Year 1 and 2 children, completing Boxall profile assessments to check and measure progress, planning and delivering phonics, literacy and numeracy lessons and liaising with staff and parents on a regular basis.

Areas of Need

The Special Educational Need and Disability (SEND) Code of Practice’ (Sept 2014) states that there are four main areas which cover Special Educational Needs. These areas and their meanings are as follows:


Area of Special

Educational Need

Relating to difficulties with:






Communication and Interaction



Children may have a delay or disorder in one or more of the following areas:

Attention / Interaction skills: May have difficulties ignoring distractions. Need reminders to keep attention. May need regular prompts to stay on task. May need individualised motivation in order to complete tasks. Difficulty attending in whole class work and interaction is not always appropriate. May have peer relationship issues and may struggle to initiate or maintain a conversation.


Understanding / Receptive Language:

May need visual support to understand or process spoken language. May need augmented communication systems to avoid frequent misunderstandings. May need repetition of language and basic language to ensure their understanding. Understanding of language may affect literacy skills.


Speech / Expressive Language:

May use simplified language and limited vocabulary. Ideas and conversations may be difficult to follow, with the need for frequent clarification. Some immaturities in the speech sound system. Grammar and phonological awareness still fairly poor and therefore literacy can be affected.




Cognition and learning







May have difficulties with the skills needed for effective learning such as use of:

·        Language, memory and reasoning skills

·        Sequencing and organisational skills

·        An understanding of number

·        Problem-solving and concept development skills

·        Fine and gross motor skills

·        Independent learning skills

·        Exercising choice

·        Decision making

·        Information processing

Children may have a specific learning disability (SpLD) such as dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia or dysgraphia or a moderate learning difficulty (MLD)



Area of Special

Educational Need

Relating to difficulties with:


Social, Mental and Emotional Health




May have difficulties with social and emotional development which may lead to or stem from:

·        Social isolation

·        Behaviour difficulties

·        Attention difficulties (ADHD or ADD)

·        Anxiety and depression

·        Attachment disorders

·        Low self-esteem

·        Issues with self-image.




Sensory and or Physical





These pupils may have a medical or genetic condition that could lead to difficulties with:


·        Specific medical conditions

·        Gross / Fine motor skills

·        Visual / hearing impairment

·        Accessing the curriculum without adaptation or modification

·        Physically accessing the building or equipment

·        Over sensitivity to noise / smells / light / touch / taste.

·        Toileting / self-care.


If you would like further explanation of any of these areas please contact Mrs Finch or Miss Rowden.

A Graduated approach to children’s SEN


Pupils are assessed and the information gained is used to identify areas of additional need.


Additional Needs Files / Individual Inclusion Information Files /Pupil Progress Files/Assessment Files

  1. Teacher/Inclusion Leader /Coordinator assessments
  2. Conversations with parents/carers to discuss concerns and needs
  3. SEN and School Tracking documents
  4. Diagnostic and standardised tests
  5. Observations and behaviour logs
  6. Reports from specialist / external agencies

Pupils at SEN Support will receive additional teaching / resources / environmental changes in order to ensure progress is accelerated towards identified outcomes shown on IEPs.

High quality SEND provision put in place through:

  • teachers personalised planning and evaluations
  • Individual Education Plans (IEPs)
  • Individual Behaviour Management Plans (IBMPs)
  • Teacher/Learning Support Assistant Individual and Group Records
  • SEN tracking documents

IEPs are reviewed at least three times a year.

Inclusion Partnership Agreement (IPA) meetings may be held and targets reviewed regularly.

Additional funding for Special Educational Needs Support Agreements (SENSA) may be requested.

Specialists and external agencies are consulted.

Education Health Care Plans are reviewed at least annually (six monthly for children under five years of age).

Pupils to make good progress towards identified outcomes.

Regular review of high quality additional provision.

Data Analysis

Inclusion Partnership Agreement (IPA) meetings used to inform future additional SEN provision, review progress and where there are significant ongoing concerns about progress.

Special Educational Needs Support Agreements (SENSA) Reviews where additional top up funding has been requested for children , and in place where there are longer term   significant concerns regarding a child’s progress

Pupil Progress meetings.

Annual Reviews / Interim Reviews

Parents are actively encouraged to be involved in IPA and SENSA meetings and in planning and reviewing targets and additional SEN provision at least twice a year.

Regular reviews evaluate the breadth and impact of the SEN support on offer.



Outside Agencies

Below is a list of some of the outside agencies that we work with at Riders school. If the address or phone number isn’t on the list below please look at the Hampshire County Council Local Offer website for links

SEND Team 6

Children Services Department,

Elizabeth Court II East,

The Castle,


SO23 8UG.

01962 846191/ 846750

Occupational Therapy


Speech and Language Therapy

Children’s Therapy Service,

Stoneham Centre,

Moorgreen Hospital,

Botley Road,

West End,


SO30 3JB.

Specialist Teacher Advisory Service

HCC Children’s Services,

Havant Public Service Plaza,

Civic Centre Road,


PO9 2AX.

Tel: 02392 441405 /9

Primary Behaviour Support

Daniel Spiers-Team Manager

Robin’s Oak, Mill Road, Waterlooville, PO7 7DB.

Admin Support – Jennifer Walton

Telephone: 02392 572676


For more information about services in Hampshire please look at the Hampshire Local Offer at

Frequently asked questions

What should I do if I think my child has a Special Educational Need?

The first and most important thing to do is talk to us. Firstly contact your child’s Class teacher and discuss any thoughts and concerns with them. They will then contact the SEND team to discuss the issues further. A member of our SEND team will then contact you and arrange a meeting if this is suitable. There are also a range of charities and websites offering support to parents, including Hampshire Family Information Service.

During the meeting a plan will be drawn up by all those involved including parents, class teacher and any other outside agencies.  This plan may take the form of an IEP (Individual Education Plan), an IPA (Inclusion Partnership Agreement) or an IBMP (Individual Behaviour Management Plan).  Following the creation of a plan, a range of support and interventions will be organised for the pupil and clear targets and actions will be set.  If necessary, The pupil will be added to the SEN register.  At all parts of this process, the thoughts and views of the pupil are recorded and taken into consideration and wherever possible, the pupil is invited to these meetings.

These plans will then be regularly reviewed so that progress can be measured and support adapted for the pupils’ needs.

How do we know if it has had an impact?

  • By reviewing children’s targets and ensuring they are being met.
  • The child is making progress academically against national / age related bands and the gap is narrowing.
  • Children are catching up to their peers or expected age levels.
  • Verbal feedback from teachers, parents and child.
  • Children may move off the special educational needs register when they have ‘caught up’ or made sufficient progress and are able to sustain this with normal classroom provision.

What is an ‘EHCP’?

EHCP (Education Health Care Plans) have replaced the previous Statutory Assessments of Need (Statements). These plans will be drawn up for children who have complex needs which involve outside agencies; such as Educational Psychologists, Occupational Therapy and Paediatricians and where the child may need specialist provision.

The first stage in the process is statutory assessment, which is carried out by the local authority. This is a detailed investigation into your child’s learning needs. The school or a parent can ask for a statutory assessment. If a school initiates an EHCP they must inform the parents.

After a request for an assessment, the local authority has six weeks to decide whether to go ahead. During this time it will seek the views of the parents and the school.

If an assessment is necessary, the local authority will then seek the views of:

  • your child’s school
  • an educational psychologist
  • a doctor
  • social services (if your child is known to them)
  • the parents

The proposal will then be considered by the SEND team for a final decision. You will be told within 12 weeks whether or not a statement will be made. If it is, you’ll be shown a draft and asked for any comments.

If you disagree with the local authority’s decision you can appeal – how to do this will be explained in the local authority’s letter.

EHC Plans must be reviewed at least annually, six monthly for children under five years. Those children who currently have Statements will have these turned into EHC Plans through Transfer meetings in the Autumn term of Year 2 or Year 6.

What can I do to help my child with SEN?

If you would like to do some extra work with your child please contact the class teacher to discuss areas to work on. If you would like some more in depth suggestions for ways to help your child please contact the SEN Team and we will arrange a meeting to discuss your child’s needs.

Any extra support that you can offer your child at home will always be advantageous and activities such as reading together regularly or simple number fact work will help your child make progress.

How will we support pupils with special educational needs in transferring between phases and schools?

We understand that transferring to KS2 and KS3 are big changes in the lives of our children and their families. As a federated Infant and Junior school we have a clear transition programme where the SEN team liaise with other staff to make sure that the information is passed up effectively. For the transfer to secondary school we make sure that clear transition plans are created for children with SEND and that pre visits are organised so that the children feel comfortable with the move.

What do I do if I am not happy about the provision made for my child?

If you have concerns about your child the most important thing to do is talk to us about it. You can contact a member of the SEN Team, either by popping in, emailing or phoning, and we will organise a meeting to discuss your concerns. If you would like some advice from outside the school you can contact Hampshire Parent Partnership Service and they will discuss options with you.

How accessible is Riders Federated Infant and Junior Schools?

Riders is not a fully accessible school as we do not have a lift to the upper classrooms. However we will always strive to make any necessary adjustments to enable children with physical disabilities to join us. (Please see our Equality Policy and the Accessibility Plan).  We have designated disabled parking spaces in the car park and our new site entrance is accessible for wheelchair users.

What support will my child with SEN receive at break and lunchtimes?

We recognise the need for all pupils to have free time to play with their peers.  However, we are also aware that for some of the children, these times can be difficult.As part of our provision we have designated spaces in both the Infants and Junior Schools where children can play quietly or in smaller groups whilst being supervised by an adult.

What training have the staff supporting children with Special Educational Needs had or are currently having?

  • All staff have access to regular CPD (Continuous Professional Development) on a variety of different aspects of SEN including Autism, sensory processing, etc..
  • We have an NHS Speech and Language Therapist (Jenny Hinton) based at our school 3 days a week and she also runs special staff training sessions, as well as writing targets and individual programmes for pupils.
  • A number of teachers and LSAs (Learning Support Assistants) are team Teach trained to support children with behavioural difficulties.
  • We have 5 fully-trained ELSAs (Emotional Literacy Support Assistants) across both schools who deliver 1:1 sessions with the children to support them with understanding their emotions.  Our ELSAs have regular supervision as part of their CPD.
  • We have 2 Reading Recovery teachers  who help specifically identified and they both have regular CPD refreshers.
  • Most of our LSAs have had training in delivering reading, spelling and phonic programmes.
  • All of our teachers and LSAs have had training on the HEP (Hampshire Educational Psychology Service) Helping Harry Learn programme.
  • We have two dedicated Numbers Count Teachers who work directly with children with but also provide CPD for staff.
  • The Inclusion Coordinator and some of our ELSAs have had the accredited Nurture training from the Nurture Group Network and they receive CPD from the Hampshire Educational Psychology Service.
  • All the LSAs have recently had training on the Role of the LSA and maximising the effect of interacting with pupils.
  • Staff have had opportunities to attend relevant training to keep them up to date with current practice.


How are Governors involved?

Ar Riders, we have an assigned SEN Governor who meets regularly with the Inclusion Team and the Governors also have regular updates on SEN provision in the school during Committee meetings.

How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

  • The school’s policy on the administration of medicines can be found on the school website.
  • The school office staff will generally oversee the day to day administration of any medicines.
  • Staff undertake regular training and are updated on conditions and medications affecting individual children in school.  Protocols are written and displayed for children with particular medical needs.
  • Protocols are put in place, with staff identified who are trained to support those children who have more complex medical needs.


For more information about SEND provision at Riders Federated Infant and Junior Schools please look at the SEND policy on our website or come in for a chat!

Updated January 2018.